Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The V Girl by Mya Robarts!!



The V Girl: Second Edition
Mya Robarts
Publication date: July 1st 2014
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance

In post-apocalyptic North America, sexual slavery is legal. Lila Velez desperately wants to lose her virginity before the troops visit her town and take it away by force. She makes plans to seduce her only friend. Lila does not love him, but he is the only man who has shown her true affection, an affection she is willing to take as a substitute for love. 

Lila’s coping mechanism to cope with her mother’s loss is her secret. A secret that will bring her closer to Aleksey Fürst, a foreign, broody man who she distrusts because of his links to the troops and his rough, yet irresistible appearance. He offers Lila an alternative to her plans, a possibility that terrifies her…and tempts her in spite of herself. 

With threats looming at every turn and no way to escape, Lila fears that falling in love will only lead to more heartache. The consequences of laying down her arms for Aleksey and welcoming hope might destroy more than her heart. They might force her to face the worst of her nightmares becoming a reality. Is love possible in a world that has forgotten what the human touch is? 





My Review
Let me start by saying this... This book is the most devastating, sexually frustrating, most arousing, absolutely horrifically beautiful book I've read in forever- or maybe just ever. I did not think I would like this book. I have my own tragedy from childhood so the mention of abuse and rape tend to steer me running in the opposite direction. Boy would I have regretted every word I didn't read of this book of I had passed on it. Now it's not light, short, or hollow. It's complex, terrible, haunting, tragic, and yet beautiful, loving, and magical all in one. This is a dystopian- but not a fantasy. That was my other doubt, as I strictly review paranormal/fantasy books. Let me make this clear before I go any further-- DO NOT PASS ON THIS BOOK!!!!! One more time- do not mistake a vague small blurb that you think you understand have you thinking that this book is not something completely magnificent. I did not think one should care so much about being a virgin, and thought I knew what was going to happen- no I was wrong. And I am both completely heartbroken and brilliantly captivated by the beauty of this book. Now- I will talk as much as I can about this book without spoilers because I think everyone should go into this book like I did- I never read a review for it on purpose- though I usually read a few before hand. I read the synopsis and went straight in and I was not only surprised, I was completely committed to every single word. 


I had a very surprising amount of conflicting emotions throughout this whole book. I laughed, I cried, I loved, I hated, I raged, and I completely broke down because it's inevitable if you even read a few pages. I am not sure I can express things without saying something that will ruin something else but I'm gunna try really hard. With the US bit longer that- it's split in two- with each side warring each other- some of the rules have changed. Rape is legal and condoned and completely almost celebrated with ceremonies- dear God I said some prayers while reading this book. Because of this- recruitment is a ceremony where the soldiers will take what they want, how they want, with whom they want. And no one- nothing- can stop them nor can they run from it. Lila is set to have her recruitment ceremony soon- she's that age- and if she's a Virgin, she'll be forced to do things I never thought I could imagine. They call her V-girl like a derogatory name and she's desperate to make sure this first time, she has choices. So she is set to make her best friend sleep with her. But things don't always work out like we want- or even hope. Here and now- we want every girl to KEEP her v card for as long as possible. Lila lives in a world that if you possess that v card, it's a death sentence or pretty damn close to it. I will not explain this any more because you need to understand it from Lila. I think reading how she felt and what she thinks makes the world of a difference to get the full effect. But I will talk about Lila. She's 18, she's pretty but everyone thinks she's strange so they avoid her and her family. Her dad is a doctor but it's a complicated thing in this time. Her was gravely injured in trying to protect Lila's mother, and that's a whole different category I can't explain. She has twin siblings whom I completely adored and fell in love with. Her best friend Rey is almost her saving grace, but he's her best friend, and they struggle through a whole heap of things throughout the whole story. I liked Rey, I wanted to cheer for him, but come on- Aleksy just stole the damn show from the moment Lila laid terrified eyes on him. He's a beautiful disaster and one that was so welcome. And sometimes- Lila needed a swift kick in the ass because when it came to those two in her life- she was so damn see-sawed with her feelings! Lawd I almost slapped her lol. But it's hard to judge someone when what they have over their hang is a life or death decision and can directly effect every single person connected to you. When something so profoundly devastating happens to you- there's a lot of confusing things that will happen to you and your judgement too. And Lila won't be the only one who will have to deal with devastation in here. 


Now with the amount of frustrations here, there's only one real romantic sex scene. Notice I said romantic. Do not mistake this for a swoon worthy sweet romance. It's a romance but I will repeat tragic and disastrous and hauntingly beautifully brilliant. I have never been so heartbroken for so many different people. And if I can say one thing- do not so drugs- yes this means a whole lot if you read the book. But back on topic- when that romantic sex scene finally happened-I swear I was at a football game- hooting and hollering and crying like I won the game... I'm from the south ok- football is almost a religion lol along with food lol!! But let me say that I pretty much feared every other sex scene for good reason. This author does not leave one soul untouched! I am completely dumbfounded at how this author weaved her words to take something horrible and turn it to what it became. And through it all- there was hope that hung on by a thread. And love that blossomed in the most hateful place of all. I freaking loved that part!!!!!! And most of all... Lila keeps her VGirl name- but virgin is not what it means, and I couldn't agree with her more! 


One small thing... I have to say this, I just can't not... There's some memorable moments that though I will completely befuddle your brain with, I must talk about them. They almost times... There are several and I swear I almost hyperventilated. The almost love of a best friend- though it turns to love but changes. The almost downfall of her sister and the true downfall of her other great friend. The love shared by that other couple- yeah I cheered for them. The right hand man and best friend if Aleksy and his complete tragic sacrifice for Lila- Tristan- if I could I would scoop you up, though there's multiple reasons you can't. The first kiss... Yeah I can't not mention that because it about blew my mind!! 


Ok enough- I think This may be the longest review I've ever written but I could go on- seriously-I have several more things I'd love to talk about. If you haven't noticed- the author has left an extreme imprint on me. That should say a lot to you about her skills of writing. I'm awed and amazed if you need a description. I don't know what else to say except read this. If only to show you that sometimes all you have is hope and you should hang on to it with every single piece of you that you have. And never let it go. Ever. And I will leave you with my 5 PAWs because this book should win awards- a lot of them.


Author Bio:
Mya Robarts is a bookaholic who regrets nothing.
She spent years trying to become a contemporary dance choreographer. Eventually she realized that she enjoyed writing her stories rather than dancing to them.
Robarts is obsessed with books that present damaged characters, swoon-worthy guys, controversial topics and happy endings.

GIVEAWAY!




XBTBanner1

No comments:

Post a Comment